Pre-Conference Focus Day
8:00 am Registration
9:00 am Integrated Project Delivery – An Action Guide for Leaders
- Markku Allison Vice President Strategy + Innovation, Chandos Construction
- Craig Webber Principal, Group2 Architecture Interior Design Ltd.
Published in June of 2018, Integrated Project Delivery; An Action Guide for Leaders provides owners and other project leaders with how-to knowledge—not advice or a sales tool— on how to get started with Integrated Project Delivery (IPD). This instruction guide helps leaders determine whether IPD is right for their project and the steps needed to make IPD a reality and a success.
Currently, there are several documents, such as the AIA IPD Guide of 2007, that describe IPD. But for an owner, or other stakeholder leader, there was until now no simple document that answered the question, “Ok, I know I want to try IPD. What do I do next?” The Action Guide answers that question and assists participants in getting over the inertia of the first step, filling a gap in available IPD knowledge and tools and complementing current IPD content.
The workshop will provide an overview of the Guide, address Validation, Culture, Financial issues, What Goes Wrong, and How to Get Started, in a combination of presentation, discussion, and interactive activities. The workshop will be facilitated by a multi-disciplinary team including owner, architect, and constructor.
After this workshop, attendees should be able to:
• Create a strategy for tangible next steps to implement Lean IPD in their projects
• Describe the goals and processes in a typical IPD validation process and tailor them for their projects
• Explain how financial tracking and projections work in Lean IPD projects
• Anticipate what might go wrong in a Lean IPD project and what to do about it
• Compare and contrast the cultural expectations of Lean IPD compared to traditional projects
1:00 pm Networking Lunch
2:00 pm Coping with Change Management – The Effect on Budget, Schedule & Project Success in an IPD Environment
- Victoria Cowan Senior Project Manager, Performance Contracting Group
- Mona Thaler Associate, SmithGroup
- Neelanjan Sen Senior Associate, HGA
Change management although expected can be frustrating, expensive and break the flow of a project. This workshop is designed to support IPD project partners in handling owner and non-owner changes in scope in an IPD environment efficiently. This workshop includes:
• Early establishment of change management system including allowances and fees
• The design decision time-line, and change management
• Informing the trades and contractors of changes; documenting changes and communicating them efficiently
• Change Management Analysis tools to understand budget, schedule, productivity, procurement; How does Change
impact each stakeholder differently. How can managing change reduce the impacts of of the project’s success
• Examples of success and failure when using automation to ease change management and increase efficiency